Saturday, April 16, 2011

Griffith Observatory At Night

Griffith Observatory at night, from Chris Camargo's photoblog: Welcome to Los Angeles

An attempt1 at a sonnet2


Come join me, let us stand and gaze from here
the distant twinkle of the city lights.
The sky is never ample pure and clear
to see the brilliance of the stars these nights.
'Tis hard to see them through this urban smog
and city lights so strong they cloud the skies;
they do create a thickness and a fog
that limit reach and depth of gazing eyes.
Though oft' I've heard our lights cannot compare
With splendor true of heavenly bodies,
I cannot wish to stars that are not there
hence will I now entreat and pray to these.
So let the stars in all their glory be
for mine are here, pray they suffice for me.


[1] My poem fails to fit the meter for a Shakespearean sonnet on one or two or three (or more?) of the lines. 
[2] Note: This poem was only slightly inspired by B.O.B.’s Airplanes. The primary influence is the view from Griffith Observatory and the smog in L.A.


No comments:

Post a Comment